Why Do You Need a Content Marketing Library Index?
Yes, I actually mean your index. If you’re old school like me, you will remember that when you when to the library you had to pull out an index card to find the book you were looking for. In the same way, you want to make a content marketing indexing system.
Yes, you have a calendar and you know what is being made for when. Yes, you might be thinking that “Well why can’t I remember this mentally, I only publish once to twice a week”.
Well, that comes down to if you really want to mentally track every asset piece you’ve ever made. Now, tell me one thing, have you ever forgotten anything and had to do some research or had to think really hard on trying to remember something? I’m sure you have, so you must be catching my point by now.
Where Do You Store Your Asset List?
If you’re currently working at a small company or you have a small business, you could actually create content library easily through shared-disk space such as Google Drive.
On the other hand, if you’re with a bigger company, you may choose to find a content platform which will allow you to create an efficient content library. Using the right tools or technology, you will be able to:
- Share content of the company
- Curate and find excellent third party content
- Attach marketing messages which are pre-approved to slide decks, blog posts, templates, eBooks, and more
- Assign permissions as well as roles which can effectively determine who is able to write the message, who is able to add it to the content library, and who is able to share the contents from the content platform
Why Do You Need This Again?
Really, why do people need a content library? Here are some of the reasons why you will have to use one:
- Time saver – the truth of the matter is, people waste most of their time just to find what they need. Statistically, 36% of employees’ time is literally wasted in contacting people to find specific information. If employees can organize their things wisely with a single location, they can surely find what they need easily and quickly.
- Waste prevention – Up to 70% of businesses try to recreate something that they have already made, mostly because they completely forgot about or someone didn’t know that the content existed.
- Promotes more sales – Your sales teams can actually take advantage of the content and even share it across to people who are on the edge or new customer leads. I recommend sharing white papers, presentations, and infographics.
- Create simple employee advocacy – the fact that more companies are incorporating employees into social media activities to ideally empower them in sharing company messages while serving as brand ambassadors is now a real trend. With centralized content location, employees will conveniently trap content while sharing it to a wider social media audience. With that, they can boost the scope of their marketing efforts while avoiding time wastage in finding the right content to be shared.
- Supports training for new employees – new workers may be tough and time consuming as well. In most cases, these newbies need to learn your products and the new industry they’re working in. You can help to lighten their jobs with “required reading” section through your content library which includes popular white papers and eBooks, analyst reports, essential blog posts, and a lot more which you prefer to take in.
- Brand protection – to build and maintain brand equity is actually an arduous task. But an essential way for you to protect your business brand is by creating social media strategy especially intended for your business. Such strategy will set expectations clear for the entire team. It will also help to indicate the do’s and don’t’s when in social media as well as the way to represent your business.
- Provides competitive edge – you can accelerate production and creativity cycles through digital asset library for smoother workflow and seamless asset approval processes.
- Launch campaign time reduced – when assets are efficiently stored in a single location, marketing and sales team will easily access them in no time.
- Improve teamwork – with quality content management solutions, users can simply work harmoniously during campaigns. Looking for specific assets is perfectly streamlined and editing is really easy while users access such assets quickly once they are already available.
- Better reporting and tracking – content marketing library can help you successfully track and report while gaining insight of which one should be used that is totally priceless.
Hence, with the use of quality content marketing matrix, you can have an organized content into a huge matrix. It will also help you be informed with your targeted audience regarding your brand, products as well as industry expertise. This can be integrated with useful white papers, educational videos, and market reports from top news publications.
How Do You Make a Content Marketing Asset Library Index?
Generally, assets are sticky and have longer shelf-life. Hence, they are intended to serve as centerpieces of the entire content hub. What I’ve done for all my DeClustered Marketing readers is created an asset index spreadsheet, you can Download Here!
Couple tips on the spreadsheet:
- Date Created: Yes, you want to fill this out. You want to make sure that you update your information.
- Department: I know it’s all for marketing, but you might have created some documents for Engineering or Sales. You want to note this information down.
- Persona: If you missed this article then click here to read about persona creation.
- Author: Note down who created it.
- Title: You know what you called the document
- Description: This is pretty self-explanatory.
- Location: This is where you can find the information. If you store it on a computer or storage drive. Make sure you note where exactly it is!
- Instead of creating another column for content format, I like to have tabs. It makes it easier for me to find things instead of trying to use the sort feature.
You can actually upload the spreadsheet to Google Drive and really get this going right away. Make sure place ALL of your assets in here. You can even get the creators to start helping you as well.
Now, you can start building your own content marketing library. Create with the above-mentioned tips and you will succeed!
Do me a favor and please share this information to your social media networks, don’t be greedy! Comment below if you have any questions.